TACOS are ALWAYS a good idea!
(or was that PARIS is always a good idea? Either way – all GOOOOOD ideas!)
All my kids – from 12 to 28 yrs old – still LOVE a good Taco Tuesday, no matter how cliché it may become, or how many tacos a month that means we’ll all end up inhaling. And why not – they’re delicious! It becomes one more guaranteed meal a week we’ll all be sitting together around a table talking about our day, which is in all books a parenting win <fistbump to all you parents who try their best to have family meals out there>.
But that also means I’ve got to keep it fresh, with new taco ideas every now and then, to keep them all guessing. Or just to see if anyone is still awake… Although my youngest could live off ground beef and cheese the rest of his life, the rest of us are a bit more adventurous.
There are weeks when I’m busy and it’s down to the typical ground beef (often locally sourced, which reminds me that I need to find a new “guy” since my old “guy” retired…), or buttery fried steaks that turn Taco night into Fajita night, both with a sprinkle of marble cheese. But my faves go to fried fish, grilled pork belly, wok-smoked fish belly, chipotle romesco cauliflower and more. Gotta switch it up once in awhile, right?!
Naturally an akHOME Food Table helps elevate the toppings for everyone to see and access 🙂 I actually use them ALL.THE.TIME.
It seriously levels up with fresh veg ingredients such as red onion, radish or cabbages, and other treats like home-made carrot-habanero hot sauce I canned in small jars, or the spicy Thai chili mango slices (also canned… it’s an obsession…), or home-made Guac (ALWAYS!). And of course the hard taco shells for me! Love the added crunch!
You can spice up your Taco night, too! Check out the kitchen TIPS below for a few fresh ideas >
cooking TIPS | Add some ZING to your Taco Tuesday!
- SLICED RED ONIONSLove the flavor of sliced onion, but not the bitterness? Slice to suit, and leave them in cold water for 30 mins. Drain and use!
- RADISHESThin sliced (mandolin or thin knife cuts) radish is a great flavor to add. Soak in some water : vinegar (1:1) mix to just cover, add a pinch of salt to your liking and you have a quick pickle – and some great color.You could use this with any harder vegetable, like carrot or beet (julienned) as well.
- RED CABBAGEYou see red cabbage on all the latest Tacos LOL! To get the bitterness out of them, however, slice to suit and soften for 30 mins in water with a touch of salt. Rinse well and serve!
- JALAPEÑOIt's not as spicy as you might think – give it a whirl! Slice off the stem end, use a small paring knife to get all the seeds out and thin slice. Sprinkle with lime juice and salt and – ya esta!
How do YOU #tacotuesday?! Got a favorite topping?? A NEW taco idea? Can’t wait to hear!
latest INGREDIENTS …
- Introducing | New Garden Markers!
- tuesdays for tea | 21.03.09
- Appliance Decisions | IGTV with Stephan Byns
- KBIS Kitchen Industry Show 2021 Re-Cap
- ELEVATE | Why Eat or Entertain with Linens?